Monday 17 June 2013

Project choices and Jazz

June 16th, 2013
Note: I started this post Thursday, finished it Sunday and am posting it today as this is the first time I've had internet in a while.  Again Darkuman is suffering from an internet shortage, I guess it is better than a water or electricity shortage.

             I have just recovered from a head cold.  I must have caught it over last weekend.  I missed two days of work, but at the pace things move here I did not miss much.  It is very odd to catch a cold in this heat, and it really left me feeling drained.  On Monday we met with Dr. Yanful from Western, who asked how things were going.  He has also tried to get us involved in a couple of waste management problems with Zoomlion.  He has us on an e-waste recycling depot that they may be building in the future.

We had a meeting Thursday with a Spanish company who is interested in working with Zoomlion to develop e-waste recycling in Ghana.  It seems to be a long way off to me, the people in Ghana are very good at getting the most out of a product and making it last as long as possible.  I also believe that by the time an electronics product becomes e-waste in Ghana most if not all the valuable materials will have been removed.  As these materials are one of the main financial motivations behind e-waste recycling it may be very hard to implement.

I’m not sure if this is the project for me in Ghana.  I was very satisfied working on the drainage system and seeing the various aspects of project management that were involved.  The contracts and management systems are very similar to those used in Canada, which may be because all the project managers have spent significant amount of time working in America or Britain.  The other students I am here with have their hearts set on working on a design project.  I just feel that the waste management projects are in such an early stage it is closer to concept generation than a practical example of building design.  I decided to give it until the end of the week before deciding which of the projects I will finally decide to work on for the remainder of my time in Ghana.  I am sure that even if I spend most of my time on the sewage plant drainage system, there will still be plenty of opportunity to keep up to date on the design project and any interesting things that come up on that project. It may even be easier with us students split up, as keeping three students engaged at a time is pretty difficult.  

Yesterday the lady who runs that hostel was getting ready for her mother’s 85th birthday.  She was in charge of bringing the fufu for the party.  She spent all day preparing it, in the early morning she was pealing and chopping plantains and cassava.  After cooking the plantains and cassava all day she had a pair of the local boys take here cooked plantains and cassava to the local fufu machine.  For a small fee they mash the plantains and cassava for you in a homemade machine built out of an old lawnmower engine and some wood.  This saved a ton of time and the traditional method of pounding the fufu with a large mortar and pestle is very labor intensive especially for the amount “Auntie” had prepared.
Cooking the plantains and cassava

Automated fufu pounding

Last night the whole gang from the Hostel when out to Accra’s premier jazz club for dinner and drinks.  It was the first club I've been in here that was packed and even charged a cover.  I had a pork chop for dinner, a real treat here, as you do not see a lot of pork on the menus of Ghana’s restaurants.  It was a very nice place and the headliner, Ebo Taylor, was very good. 
Club +233, +233 is Ghana's international dialing code

Poster for the Ebo Taylor concert at +233

Ebo Taylor and his band

Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment