Thursday 8 August 2013

My last night in Ghana

August 8th, 2013

So I have made it to my final night here in Ghana. It has been a very quiet week for me.  I did spend the past weekend in the Osu neighbourhood of Accra.  Osu is the nightlife and restaurant centre of Accra, so I had some nice meals and got to experience a bit of Accra’s modern nightlife.  I also got the chance to go to the Canadian embassy for some swimming on Sunday.  Every first Sunday of the month the Canadian embassy in Accra is open to Canadians living here and they allow you to use the pool and have some snacks and drinks for sale around the pool to raise some money for charity.  It was a nice afternoon and helped prepare me for my return to Canada.  Most of the conversations I had revolved around how bad the Blue Jays are or how good the Maple Leafs will be.  It was not very crowded, there were a couple of families and the owner of the four villages inn in Kumasi, who told me about the event when I stayed there a couple of weeks ago. I was on my best behavior as when my brother and I were young our father used to tell us when our manners at the dinner table were not up to par that we would get thrown out of the embassy ball if we did not have good manners.  I did not make it to the embassy ball, but the embassy pool was close enough for me to be on my best behavior, I had my pinky sticking out on every sip of tea just in case. Unfortunately the Canadian embassy is very strict about taking photos and had me turn over my phone and camera at the main gate, they would not even let me take a photo of the entrance or Canada sign on the wall of the compound.


Other than that I have not been up too much, just enjoying watching people come and go from Crystal hostel.  For my last night ‘Auntie’ is preparing a nice home cooked Ghanaian meal.  I am looking forward to it tonight.  She also had a shirt made for me as a thank you.  The shirt may be a little loud for me to wear back in Canada, but I’m sure I will find some appropriate time to wear it.  I am starting my packing today so I can hopefully have a nice relaxing final day before I need to get on the plane.  I still have to go and check out our neighbour’s souvenir shop.  Nana, who runs the shop, has been a great help during my stay here, by giving directions and suggestions about Accra.  Nana is also in a band, he sings for them and gives them a place to practice.  It has been a bit disturbing having a band practice about 10 meters from my room, but it is the least of the sound distractions.  ‘Auntie’s’ kitchen is about 3 meters from my bed and she is up at about 5 every morning cooking, taking on the phone or yelling at her two grandchildren.  On the back of my room is a grade school, they start school at 7 everyday, but thankfully ‘Auntie’ has usually woken me up by then.  The funniest thing about the school is they sing the A-B-C song incorrect, it has the same tune, but they split the alphabet at different letters then when I was taught it.  I have had to sing the correct song to myself a couple of times, because hearing it sung wrong is very confusing to my brain.

The next karate kid

Well I guess I will hopefully see everyone soon back in Canada.


Johnny

1 comment: