Thursday 30 May 2013

Power, Internet and GMT

             I know some people are interested in the food here, but I’m saving that for when I have a more complete understanding of the food in Ghana.  I also had a bit of a set back after my illness, as I jumped right into Ghanaian food when I got here, got sick and have been a bit ‘gun shy’ of Ghanaian food since.  Thou I am starting to get back into enjoying the local food here.

We have had about a week of the power being out more often than it is on at work and home.  It is not too bad during the day, but sleeping at night without a fan is awful.  We have also lost the internet, and not just at Crystal Hostel but the whole of the Darkuman region have run out of internet this past week.  The internet cafes have become very boring places.  When there is internet the internet cafes are lined up out the door.  Internet cafes here are very different from back home, they are definitely an adult experience as you have no clue what your neighbor may be up to. 

I have also learned the meaning of GMT.  GMT stands for Greenwich Mean Time, but in Ghana which is on GMT they call it Ghana Maybe Time.  It has been quite a frustrating adjustment to a society without schedules, promptness or preparedness.  I have always been on time, and here it simply does not matter.  We are working with professional people in a large company and they will not show up for stuff or show up an hour or two late with no call or excuse.  It is enough to drive a person to drink.  I’m trying very hard to just go with the flow and accept that it is how things work here, but it has been a challenge.

A fruit stand down the road from Crystal hostel

Some political science students from the University of Ghana who came to visit the sewage plant, a heated discussion followed their tour.

Lapaz market

Darkuman Road

Johnny

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures. The lack of schedules and structure would make me mental. I guess "be like water" will be your mantra while trying to adjust to this new social norm. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete